Provides expert services in the management of acute and chronic respiratory disorders. The range of conditions encompass lung cancer, asthma, smoking related COPD, respiratory infections including tuberculosis, interstitial lung disease, occupational lung disease, pulmonary vascular disease, sleep related breathing disorders and respiratory failure. We are also a Regional centre specialising in Cystic Fibrosis and Primary ciliary dyskinesia.
St. James’s University hospital has a recently upgraded respiratory critical care/high dependency unit, which provide non-invasive ventilatory support for patients in respiratory failure. This unit was developed and expanded following the Leeds landmark YONIV trial run by Dr by Mark Elliott’s group >>.
Therapy Services/Specialist Nursing Services
- Respiratory Nurse specialists working across sites
- Bronchoscopy Nurses
- Assisted ventilation & sleep disorders Nurse specialist at St James’s.
- Lung Cancer Nurse specialists based at Bexley Wing, SJUH (Medicine, Surgery & Oncology Division) who provide support to respiratory wards on both sites.
- Cystic Fibrosis Liaison Nurse specialists at St James’s Hospital
- Home Oxygen Nurse specialists
There is a Sleep and Assisted Ventilation Service at St James’s Hospital for inpatients, outpatients and at home in the community.
Inpatient services for patients requiring acute non-invasive ventilatory support and management following intubation and ventilation on ITU are available St James’s hospital.
St James’s Hospital provides a service for patients with HIV/AIDS related respiratory health problems and multi-drug resistant tuberculosis.
The bronchoscopy service is provided in the David Beevers Day Unit at St James’s Hospital.
Facilities for the admission of patients for elective diagnostic investigations to St. James’s is available.